Legal Office Guru header image

Legal Office Guru

≡ Menu

Changing text case in Word

Unless otherwise noted, all instructions and screenshots are from Microsoft Office for Windows.

Quick — you need to make that entire sentence ALL IN CAPS (or In Title Case or whatever).  How do you do that without retyping it?


  • Block the text with your mouse or keyboard as if you are going to copy or delete it.
  • In the menu bar, click Format, then click Change Case.
  • Format menu, Change Case option
  • Click the appropriate option on the dialog box:

Change Case

Voila!  Your text has been changed from one case to another!

Update: More complete instructions on this feature in versions 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2010 are posted here.

by Deborah Savadra

I spend an inordinate amount of my time playing with computers and attempting to explain technology to lawyers and law office staff. It's not always easy, but someone's got to do it.

WOW – You read that whole post!

Want more Legal Office Guru goodness? Give me your email and I’ll drop
my top tips & tricks for Microsoft Office into your inbox every few days!

Your email and other personal information will never be sold or given to any third party.

  1. Or you could simply depress your CTRL Key and click F3. It will do the same thing for you, only quicker!

  2. Oops…you can simply hold down your SHIFT key and depress F3!