Go from UPPER to lower without retyping

If you’ve ever decided (or been told) after you’ve already typed something that what’s in lowercase letters now needs to be UPPERCASE, or vice versa, you don’t have to retype a single letter.  No, no, no.  You just need to use Microsoft Word’s Change Case feature.

Word 2002-2003

  • Select the text you want to change the case of, using your mouse or keyboard, like so:

  • On the Format menu, click Change Case.

  • Choose the appropriate option:
    • Sentence case
    • lowercase
    • Uppercase
    • Title Case
    • tOGGLE cASE

Word 2007-2010

  • Select the text you want to change the case of, using your mouse or keyboard.
  • On the Home ribbon, go to the Fonts section and click the arrow next to the Change Case button.

  • Choose the appropriate option.

As an example, here’s what various types of text look like before changing case:

Before ...

And this is what it looks like after each type of change:

... and After

About the Author

I spend an inordinate amount of my time playing with computers and attempting to explain technology to lawyers and law office staff. It's not always easy, but someone's got to do it.

Libby R.

Beside adding an entire new column and putting in a formula to change from Sentence Case or lower case to UPPER CASE, is there anyway to do this for a column or row of data in Excel (I have the 2010 version).


    Deborah Savadra

    Unfortunately, there are very limited font options, and none to convert the text of the original cell as you can in Word.

    You might try posting your question at answers.microsoft.com to see if any of the MVPs know of any tricks you can use for that.

Comments are closed